Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Taco Salad

This is a recipe my mom used to make when I was growing up. Even those who don't really care for salad will love this one. You can make this in one large bowl if feeding a family, but I make it just for the two of us so I made individual bowls and just save the leftover meat for leftovers.

  • 1 lb ground hamburger meat
  • 1 can dark red kidney beans, drained
  • 1/4 cup water
  • Chili powder
  • 1 bag salad mix
  • Shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 large tomato, diced
  • Thousand island dressing
  • Tortilla chips
  • Salsa
Brown hamburger meat in skillet until cooked through and no longer pink. Drain and return to pan. Add kidney beans. Add water and chili powder (I never measure the chili powder - just add until it's all coated, I'm going to guess about 3-4 Tbsp). Cook on low until slightly thickened. Add lettuce to two bowls (use large bowl if serving more than two), diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, and a spoonful of salsa. Top with meat mixture. Pour thousand island dressing on top and take two forks to mix up salad together. Toss until everything is coated with dressing. Add crushed up tortilla chips on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment